Yes you heard us right! This years’ Bon Soo Carnival returns to the downtown core located at the Roberta Bondar Pavilion and themed “Under the Big Top”. Construction of the Tim Hortons Winter Playground is well underway at the Pavilion with quite an impressive line-up of events planned throughout the 10 days of the 51st Annual Carnival. Although most of us can agree that we’ve had more than our fill of snow so far this year, as we haul out our shovels and blowers almost daily, I can’t help but notice the huge smile on Mr. Bon Soo’s face everytime I see him!
Opening Ceremonies are scheduled to begin at 6:30pm, hosted by CTV’s Marina Moore with must see performances by Studio Dance Arts and Zero Gravity Circus! Immediately following, the OLG will be lighting up the skies over the waterfront with their Fireworks Extravaganza. If you can’t wait for all the festivities to begin that day, there are a number of events which will already be underway:
- Head on down to the Tim Hortons Winter Playground (now at the Roberta Bondar Pavilion) for a stroll on the Snowfalke Trail or let the the kids loose on the Bum Slides which open at 5:30pm.
- You can purchase a limited eddition Bon Soop Mug for $10 which you can then bring to a variety of participating restaurants daily for a free fill up of delicious soup! You will be supporting the Zonta Club of Sault Ste. Marie’s many service projects.
- From 6:30am to 10:30pm you can head on over to the George Leach Centre with your Bon Soo Button or Carnival Pass to participate in one of many fitness classes, spend some time in their weight room and much more!
- Enter the McLeod Bros. Bon Soo Bon Spiel for some curling fun and kick it up a notch even further with their dance Friday Night rocking away to live music by Obsession!
- Enjoy a Gourmet Dinner at The Gallery Teaching Restaurant at 6pm, located at Sault College and sponsored by the Culinary and Hospitality Program
Some awesome quotes from a few of the big kids…
“February is an exciting time for Bon Soo, as we celebrate the 51st Annual Carnival, spanning a full 50 years. We are excited to be returning to our downtown roots, and welcome you to join us at the Tim Hortons Winter Playground, now at the Bondar Pavilion. The Night of Ice & Fire is not to be missed, and I look forward to seeing you at the Bushplane Centre for our New Premiere Event.” – Brett Lund, President
“Year after year, Sault Ste. Marie families and visitors look forward to one of the world’s greatest winter carnivals – BON SOO! Last year, Bon Soo turned 50, and over the years, many families have participated and played in the winter playground, enjoyed concerts, dances, events, competitions and contests. What a celebration we had! Let’s not forget those festivities, and carry our celebratory spirit into 2014. Some of my favourite festival activities are the Bum Slides and the events that showcase local talent. The Ontario Winter Carnival Bon Soo truly does offer variety and activities for all ages and it is more than just an event, it is an experience where we create memories that last a life time.” – Debbie Amaroso, Mayor.
“The Bon Soo Winter Carnival brings Saultites together in the spirit of volunteerism, family-oriented fun and in appreciation of local artistic talent. Sault Ste. Marie’s participation in Bon Soo is a shining example of individuals coming together to play an active role in shaping our community into something we can all be proud of… Featuring the work of local artists and performers of historical heritage, Bon Soo draws attention to the Sault’s booming artistic culture. Musical and dance performances, an art exhibit, hay wagon rides, snow shoeing, snow canoeing, dog sled rides, snow sculptures, and the famous bum slide are all fun family-friendly activities that I have enjoyed with my own family for years!” – Bryan Hayes, MP
We’ve made it even easier this year to keep up with all the events happening both “Under the Big Top” and throughout the city daily! Simply visit our home page where you will find a convienent Bon Soo Tab containing the next several upcoming events as well as a link to the Sault Online Community Events Calendar which will list all the events happening during the Bon Soo Carnival from Feb. 7th to the 10th. If you know of any last minute additions which may not have yet made it into the calendar, simply send us an email with the event details and we’d love to add them!
Don’t forget to give Mr. Bon Soo a Like on his Facebook Page. The last time we spoke he was just pumped about topping over the 3,000 mark!!!