I took the time to stop by the Canadian Cancer Society’s kick-off for Relay For Life 2014 yesterday down at the Station Mall Food Court. I was greeted by Lumi as well as staff and volunteers who were dressed in attire from different decades throughout history, the theme of this Year’s event. In addition to answering questions and accepting registrations, there was a slide show featuring photos from past Relay For Life Events. What is Relay For Life?
Every three minutes another Canadian is faced with fighting cancer. Unfortunately a statistic I personally experienced a few years back, dodging the proverbial bullet with a quick surgical procedure. Every dollar raised at Relay For Life helps the Canadian Cancer Society have more impact against more cancers in more communities than any other cancer charity in Canada. For 75 years, the Canadian Cancer Society has supported Canadians in the fight for life, determined to see a future where no one fears cancer.
Relay For Life is an inspirational, non-competitive, 12-hour overnight fundraising event that brings you and your community together to celebrate life and fight cancer. Relay has a festival-like atmosphere that your family, friends and co-workers can enjoy regardless of age or fitness level! Teams of 10-15 people fund-raise individually and as a team to help the Canadian Cancer Society save lives and support those who are facing cancer. Relay participants make a commitment to raise at least $100 and are supported with the tools to reach their goals.
At this Year’s Relay, teams will gather with cancer survivors on June 20th at the John Rhodes Community Centre to take turns walking laps all night. Each team keeps at least one member on the track at all times, while all around them the party is in full swing. Teams stay overnight in the decorated tent city, united to enjoy music, food, activities and entertainment and to celebrate life.
Celebrate – Survivors’ Victory Lap
Cancer survivors are invited to walk in the inspirational first lap of Relay For Life. Surrounded by an emotional wave of support, survivors celebrate success in their battle with cancer and give hope to those still facing the disease. The victory lap also provides an opportunity for survivors to thank those who helped them through their battle and be part of a caring community of people who have all faced a cancer diagnosis.
Remember – Luminary Ceremony
Luminaries are special candles that honour cancer survivors and remember loved ones lost to cancer. Luminaries may be purchased online at www.relayforlife.ca or at the event itself. They are lit at twilight and provide light and inspiration to participants all night.
At Relay, we fight back against a disease that takes too many. As the sun rises, participants join together at the Fight Back Ceremony to make a personal commitment to fight back in their own lives all year long.
Why is Relay overnight you ask? Relay For Life symbolizes and honours a cancer patient’s journey. For the thousands of Canadians fighting cancer right now, their journey is long and hard. From the shock of initial diagnosis, through days of treatment and the long nights that follow for them, cancer never sleeps, so neither do we. At Relay For Life, each step we take is our way of showing them that they are not alone. As the sun rises and Relay draws to a close, we commit to continuing the fight for life all year long.
You too can Take Action by registering today:
- As a team captain, you can take a leadership role to unite friends, family and co-workers and mobilize a powerful team of cancer fighters.
- As a participant, you can join a team, unite in the fight and celebrate life! You and your team can put the fun in fundraising and come together to enjoy music, food, activities and entertainment in the decorated tent city.
- As a survivor, you can celebrate your own victory against cancer while sharing in a remarkable experience that brings strength and courage to all those who have been touched by the disease.
- As a volunteer, you can give a little time and make a big difference. Our generous volunteers are the heart of Relay. By donating your time, you will be part of a global movement and a local party!
- As a company, you can sponsor a Relay in your community, donate products or services or engage employees by building your own company team.
Other ways you can support Relay For Life:
- pledge a participant
- buy a luminary