On Saturday, April 19th, 2014 from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm, Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services (SSMFS) crews will be on location at the Great Northern Road and Second Line West (Market Mall) LCBO stores. Fire Services staff will be engaging customers and handing out information concerning the dangers of alcohol consumption while cooking, as it relates to fires.
“Cooking is the number one cause of home fires in our community”, states Chief Fire Prevention Officer, Paul Milosevich. “All too often, alcohol is a contributing factor to injuries, fatalities and property loss, when preparing food. Over the last number of years, our community has unfortunately experienced several fatalities, injuries and thousands of dollars in property loss due to this behavior. Having crews out at these locations engaging customers, answering questions and providing pamphlet information is one step towards reducing these types of fires.”
SSMFS wants to remind the public that these types of incidents are 100% preventable. Never leave cooking unattended and to be responsible when enjoying a glass of wine or beer when cooking. Remember, responsible drinking doesn’t end with a cab ride home. Yours and your families’ lives depend on it.