Each long weekend we hear of tragedies that could have been avoided. Homes are broken into while the owners are away, motorists are killed or injured in motor vehicle collisions and deaths occur on our waterways.
The following information may help keep citizens safe and help ensure that everyone has a safe long weekend.
If You Are Going Away
- Make sure your home appears occupied.
- Leave lights on and use timers.
- Inform your trusted neighbours you are away and ask them to keep an eye on your residence.
- Half of all home burglaries occur during the daytime when alert neighbours could spot and report suspicious activity.
While On The Road
- Wear your seatbelt and ensure your passengers are buckled in.
- Don’t text and drive.
- Don’t drink and drive.
- Use your signal lights and give others advance warning of your lane changes.
- Slow down and obey the speed limit.
While On The Water
- Don’t drink and operate a vessel.
- Wear your life jacket.
- The water is still cool, levels are high which increases the current and puts water in places it may not usually be.
- Let others know your route and when you are expected to return.
The Sault Ste. Marie Police Service would like to wish everyone a safe and enjoyable long weekend.