With the heating season soon upon us, Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services would like to remind residents to have their heating appliances checked before the cold weather arrives.
Home owners are reminded that most fossil fuel heating appliances have two vents, one fresh air intake and one exhaust vent. Both vents must be free of any obstructions in order for the heating appliance to properly function. Failing to keep vents free and clear may result in their home being contaminated with carbon monoxide gas.
Residents should be aware that under By-Law 2009-82 Carbon Monoxide detectors are required whenever a residence has a fossil fuel appliance and/or an attached garage.