This past year has seen the tourism industry start to rebound across Ontario. Sault Ste. Marie has experienced some significant achievements, including upgrades and new builds in the accommodations sector, as well as hosting a number of major sporting events and conventions.
Tourism Sault Ste. Marie, a division of the Economic Development Corporation, wants to recognize its industry partners for these and other successes. Help the division celebrate the industry-wide team effort that led to these achievements by nominating a candidate for one of its five annual awards:
- Tourism Award of Excellence – This award is for an individual who has significantly impacted the development of tourism in Sault Ste. Marie. He or she has provided longstanding and exceptional service; has demonstrated an entrepreneurial spirit, leadership and integrity; as well has established a strong legacy through passing on their experience to others to further benefit the tourism sector. This individual has gained respect of those in the tourism industry.
- Business of the Year Award – This for-profit business in the private sector has demonstrated leadership by investing equally in both staff and customers through staff training or special programs and through value-added undertakings for the customer. The presence of this business leads to the provision of a better total tourism product in Sault Ste. Marie.
- Customer Service Award – This award is intended to recognize an individual employed in the tourism industry who has contributed to the betterment of the tourism experience for visitors. He or she exhibits a courteous, friendly manner; is customer-service oriented and regularly goes beyond the expected duties and performances of their job responsibilities. Three finalists will be chosen with the winner to be announced on the night of the awards.
- Tourism Ambassador Award – This award is designed to recognize an individual or group who, while functioning as a volunteer(s), has made a significant contribution towards strengthening our local tourism economy, helping to achieve impressive results. This individual or group has undertaken their work in the capacity of a volunteer and not as part of their regular paid employment.
- Tourism SSM Student Hospitality Management Award ($500 Scholarship) – This award is designed to recognize a second-year Sault College student in the Hospitality Management Hotel and Resort Program. It will be selected by the faculty of Sault College based on academic performance in the first year and the co-operative education work term. In addition, the recipient must have demonstrated a positive contribution to the program and the hospitality industry.
The nomination forms for the 2014 Tourism Sault Ste. Marie Awards is available online at http://www.sault-canada.com//uploads/doc_635464587696960583.pdf.