On September 1, 2014 at 11:00 p.m. officers from the East Algoma Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) received a call of a robbery in progress at a business on Hillside Drive in Elliot Lake. When officers arrived they learned a male had entered the business, forced his way behind the counter and removed items then forced his way out and fled the area. The Canine Unit from the OPP attended along with members from the Emergency Response team (ERT) and after a brief search of the area a male was located hiding in a wooded area.
A 17 year old male who can’t be identified in accordance with the Youth Criminals Justice Act (YCJA) from Elliot Lake is charged with the following offences.
- Robbery with theft, section 344(1)(b) of the Criminal Code
- Robbery with violence, section 344(1)(b) of the Criminal Code
- Assault, section 266, Criminal Code
- Fail to Comply with probation order, section 733.1(1) Criminal Code
- Disguise with intent, section 351(2) Criminal Code
The accused was held in custody pending a bail hearing in Sault Ste Marie.