Greyhounds Two for Two on the Road

File Photo (Gabe Guertler) Rod Aubertin:

Coming off a big win against Plymouth last night the Greyhounds hoped for another win on the road against the Windsor Spitfires who haven’t had a back to back win yet this season.

Early on in the first period Darnell Nurse lost the puck which gave Marchese a good scoring chance but was stopped by Halverson. The first goal of the game would come from Trevor Murphy at 7:51 to put the Spitfires up by one.

The Windsor defence kept the Greyhounds from getting some real good scoring chances for a good part of the period and with a little miscue from the Greyhounds in the last 30 seconds of the first period McCool got a couple of good chances of adding to the lead and with Halverson out of position on the second chance managed to keep the puck from going into the net.

At the end of the first period of play the score was 1 – 0 for the Windsor Spitfires.

The Greyhounds took control in the second period and had the majority of the 20 minutes in the Spitfires end. Darnell Nurse would jump in on a rush and put his wrist shot past Fotinos to tie the game at 1 a piece at 7:30 minute mark. Povorozniouk kept knocking Guertler down behind the Greyhound net and Guertler finally retaliated which sent both men off to the penalty box, Guertler for Cross Checking and Povorozniouk for slashing at 15:19. With the second period in the books the score was tied at 1.

Keeping up the pressure on Windsor in the third period, the G-Men, as I called them, would get the go ahead goal by Guertler who was right on the doorstep and was assisted by Ganly and Gettinger at 4:04.

While Moore was in the penalty box for hooking Anthony Salinitri would score a short handed goal, his first goal in his OHL career to give the Greyhounds a two goal cushion at the 6:20 mark.

Taking two more penalties right after each other gave Windsor the momentum to get back into the game on a power play goal by McCool at 10:36 closing the gap to within one.

Offensively, the Greyhounds kept most of the play in the Windsor end and with around 4 minutes left to go in the game Sergey Tolchinsky got in behind the defense and Fotinos made a huge save to keep Windsor in the game.

Windsor pulled Fotinos with a little over a minute left for the extra attacker. Brandon Halverson was outstanding coming up with quite a number of saves.

Guertler would block a shot and the Greyhounds cleared the puck from their end and a foot race ensued with Guertler winning the race and scoring an empty net goal at 19:52 making the final score of the game Greyhounds – 4, Spitfires – 2.

The Greyhounds will head home for a couple of days before heading out next week on a three game road trip with the first stop in Peterborough, then Ottawa and finally Kingston.