Evidence over at Magnotta murder trial

0

MONTREAL – The jury in the first-degree murder trial of Luka Rocco Magnotta has finished hearing the evidence.

The case has been adjourned until next Wednesday, when the defence and Crown will give their closing arguments, followed by the judge’s instructions to the jury.

Quebec Superior Court Justice Guy Cournoyer told jurors today they’ll likely be sequestered as of next Friday.

Magnotta has pleaded not guilty by way of mental disorder to premeditated murder and four other charges related to the slaying and dismemberment of Jun Lin in May 2012.

The trial has sat for 40 days and heard from 66 witnesses, including some more than once.

The final witnesses today were defence expert witnesses who’d previously appeared and were recalled to reply to testimony from the Crown expert.

Defence experts have said they believe Magnotta was psychotic, had been untreated for schizophrenia for at least two years and was unable to tell right from wrong when he killed Lin.

The Crown argues the crime was planned and deliberate.

A psychiatrist for the Crown testified he has doubts about Magnotta’s schizophrenia diagnosis in 2001, but says even if it is accurate, there’s nothing to indicate he was not in touch with reality the night of the killing.

Magnotta is charged with first-degree murder; criminally harassing Prime Minister Stephen Harper and other members of Parliament; mailing obscene and indecent material; committing an indignity to a body; and publishing obscene materials.