Snow Machine Destroyed In Fire

0

During the evening hours of Saturday, December 13th, 2014, Fire Services responded to a 911 call in the 200 block of Millcreek Drive. Upon arrival fire crews found a snow machine fully engulfed in flames in the driveway of the residence. The fire was quickly brought under control, but the snow machine was completely destroyed in the incident. Further investigation revealed an occupant of the home was refueling the machine in the garage. Vapours from the fuel were ignited by a nearby kerosene heater and the snow machine caught fire as a result. The occupant dragged the sled out of the garage and called 911.

Fire Services would like to remind the community that when refueling any motorized equipment, to do so outdoors when possible and to ensure open flames or heat sources are not in close proximity.

“This fire could have been prevented”, stated Assistant Fire Chief, Paul Milosevich. “Identifying nearby ignition sources is the key to ensuring we remain safe from these types of incidents. People lose sight of this and believe it will not happen to them. This is a prime example.”

This fire is not considered suspicious. The snow machine was a total loss and the attached garage received radiant heat damage to the vinyl siding.