Very cold temperatures combined with moderate winds will create wind chill values of minus 40 to minus 48 this morning. Conditions will improve later this morning as temperatures rise and winds diminish.
Extreme Cold Warning in effect for:
Agawa – Lake Superior Park
Sault Ste. Marie – St. Joseph Island
Searchmont – Montreal River Harbour – Batchawana Bay
Some portions of northern Ontario may once again see wind chill values of minus 40 tonight and into Monday morning.
Wear appropriate clothing.
– Always wear clothing appropriate for the weather. Synthetic and wool fabrics provide better insulation. Some synthetic fabrics are designed to keep perspiration away from your body which keep you dry and further reduce your risk.
– Dress in layers with a wind resistant outer layer. You can remove layers if you get too warm (before you start sweating) or add a layer if you get cold.
– Wear warm socks, gloves, a hat and scarf in cold weather. Be sure to cover your nose to protect it.
– If you get wet, change into dry clothing as soon as possible. You lose heat faster when you’re wet.
– Consuming alcohol before you go out in the cold may increase your risk of hypothermia because it increases blood flow to the extremities of the body. You may actually feel warm even though you are losing heat.
Bring your Pets In!
Animals can suffer frost bite just as humans, remember if it’s too cold for you it’s too cold for them.