“Our government is committed to strengthening businesses in Sault Ste. Marie and ensuring communities across Northern Ontario continue to grow,” said Orazietti. “This funding will allow Boniferro Mill Works to not only purchase much-needed modern equipment, but allows the mill to expand its operations, create new jobs and better position the company for long-term growth.”
The provincial investment of $1 million will allow the long-standing local sawmill to undertake a nearly $3 million capital expansion. This project includes the purchase of major pieces of equipment, such as a new rotary de-barker and chipper. The project funding will also allow for the expansion of the saw mill facility to accommodate current upgrades and future growth, helping to protect approximately 50 existing jobs, while creating 5-10 new jobs and approximately 25 indirect forestry harvesting jobs.
- Since 2003, the NOHFC has invested almost $1 billion in more than 6,750 projects in Northern Ontario, creating or sustaining nearly 25,100 jobs.
- In Sault Ste. Marie, the NOHFC has invested $95 million in 796 projects, creating or sustaining more than 2,819 jobs, since 2003.
- The NOHFC’s investments in economic development are an important part of the Ontario government’s Growth Plan for Northern Ontario. A strong northern economy will give the people of Ontario more opportunities for jobs and economic prosperity.
- $3.4 million for the Sault Ste. Marie Airport Development Corporation
- $2.5 million Heliene Solar Manufacturing Plant
- $2.1 million Sault Harbour Expansion
- $2.1 million Flakeboard Ltd. Expansion
- $1 million Triple M Metal
- $1 million SIS Manufacturing to upgrade equipment and infrastructure
- $785,500 Palmer Construction Group Inc.
- $738,200 for Rector Machine Works infrastructure and equipment upgrades
- $475,000 Soo Foundry & Machine equipment upgrade
- $202,750 China Steel equipment upgrades