Sault Ste. Marie Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a break and enter to a residential garage in the 100 block of Best Rd. in Goulais Township. The break-in occurred sometime between 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on March 18, 2015. Stolen items included a mastercraft air compressor and 50 piece socket set.
A second break and enter to a residence in the 100 block of Turmaine Rd. in Goulais Township was also responded to. The break-in occurred sometime between 2:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. on March 18, 2015. Stolen items included an undisclosed amount of cash, and an assortment of jewellery including gold braclets, necklaces, men’s rings and a watch.
OPP would like to remind the public to practice crime prevention every day to protect your home, property and yourself against crime:
- Watch for suspicious people or activity in your neighborhood. Have a trusted neighbor keep an eye out while you plan to be away. Do not announce your absence over social media.
- Deter potential criminals. Ensure outside lights work and consider motion sensor lighting.
- Lock doors and windows, even if you’re going out for a short time. Install quality locks and a deadbolt on each outside door.
- Keep garage doors and entry doors secured.
- Keep all valuables in the home in secure locations. Consider recording serial numbers and taking photos of personal property for documentation purposes.
- Trees, shrubs and fences create hiding spots for criminals. Keep your landscaping groomed and limit privacy fenceing.
If you’re going to be away, keep the grass cut or driveway shoveled. Do not let newspapers or mail accumulate.
If you have any information about this crime call the Sault Ste. Marie Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122 or call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 705-942-7867 or 1-800-222-8477. Type a tip through our website at www.saultcrimestoppers.com or text the keyword SSM along with your tip to 274637.