(ELLIOT LAKE, ON) On April 24, 2015, members of the Elliot Lake Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) arrested a youth following an investigation related to ongoing threats received through social media. The messages were directed towards the students of the Elliot Lake Secondary School.
This complex and ongoing investigation has been conducted in coordination with members of the:
- East Algoma and Sault Ste Marie OPP
- North East Region Crime Unit
- Investigation and Support Bureau
- and the Sault Ste Marie Police Service.
As a result, a 16-year old female from Elliot Lake, who cannot be named under the provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA), has been charged with:
- Uttering threats contrary to section 264.1(1)(a) of the Criminal Code (CC) (2 counts);
- Criminal Harassment contrary to Section 264(2)(b) of the CC and with
- Public Mischief contrary to Section 140(1)(a) of the CC.
She is being held in custody pending her bail hearing at the Ontario Court of Justice in Sault Ste. Marie on April 27, 2015.
The OPP takes any threat to school and public safety seriously and will work with stakeholders and provide necessary resources to assess and respond to these threats.
Throughout this investigation, members of the OPP including the Provincial Liaison Team assisted the Algoma District School Board with strategies to ensure a safe and secure environment for the staff, students and visitors of the school.
Any person with information regarding the person(s) responsible for this incident should immediately contact the Elliot Lake OPP at 1-888-310-1122, or their nearest police authority. Should you wish to remain anonymous, you may call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), where you may be eligible for a cash reward of up to $2,000.