Lucky Thirteen

Rod Aubertin:

In the semi final Senior Boys game between second place Korah Colts and third place Superior Heights Steel Hawks it took a total thirteen shooters to decide which team would advance to the finals.

Korah had the lead at the end of the first half but with a lot of pressure by Superior Heights in the second half the Steel Hawks tied the game on a penalty shot, so the winner had to be decided by a shoot out. Of the first five required shooters Korah had 4 goals and Superior Heights had the same also. Each team would alternate with the remaining players that were on the field at the end of the game.

For the next five shots each team scored setting the stage for the goal keepers with no winning goal. It would take the 13th shooter to decide the game with a miss by Korah and a goal by Superior Heights.

The other Senior Boys match also went to a shoot out between first place St. Mary’s and fourth place St. Basil. The game wouldn’t see any scoring during the two halves even though there were some real good scoring chances by both teams but the majority of the opportunities were in favor of the Saints.

After the first three shooters it was still tied, but with two misses by St. Mary’s and a goal by St. Basil, the Saints would win their first game of the season. St. Basil will play against Superior Heights in the final.

The first game of the day had the Junior Girls from Superior Heights go up against Korah. The Steel Hawks would get their first goal at about 12 minutes into the game. Despite lots of pressure by Superior Heights the Colts kept the Steel Hawks from getting any more in the first half. Superior Heights would continue pressuring Korah in the second half which resulted in two more goals by the Steel Hawks giving the final score of 3 to 0 for Superior Heights. The
Steel Hawks will now go up against the St. Mary’s Knights for the final.

Games 2 and 3 had the Senior Girls take to the field with the first game had St. Mary’s Knights go up against the Korah Colts. St. Mary’s would lead at the end of the first half by one and then added three more in the second half blanking the Colts 4 to 0.

In the other Senior Girls game Superior Heights Steel Hawks would get the only goal of the game against the St. Basil Saints. The St. Mary’s Knights will now face off against the Steel Hawks for the final.