Pan Am flame to visit Sault Area Hospital, Roberta Bondar Park and Civic Centre
(Sault Ste. Marie, ON) The TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games Torch Relay, presented by President’s Choice® and OLG, is coming to Sault Ste. Marie Monday, June 1.
On June 1 torchbearers participating in the TO2015 Torch Relay will visit the Sault Area Hospital and Roberta Bondar Park. The Pan Am flame will leave Sault Ste. Marie Tuesday, June 2, departing from the Civic Centre. The public is invited to share in the Torch Relay celebrations.
“As a community, we are ecstatic to be a part of the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games Torch Relay,” says Mayor Christian Provenzano. “Having the flame visit Sault Ste. Marie offers us another chance to celebrate our strong sporting history, including local athletes who have competed in past Pan Am Games. I invite the community to be part of the celebrations.”
Torch Relay Schedule – Monday, June 1
Sault Area Hospital (SAH) – 5:30 to 5:50 p.m. – outdoor concourse area at main entrance
- Pan Am flame will arrive carried by Brad Jacobs, Olympic Gold medallist – curling
- Brief ceremony to include recognition of OLG Casino Sault Ste. Marie proceeds
- BJ Marcoux (medallist – alpine skiing) will depart from SAH passing the flame to torchbearer Mac Marcoux (Paralympic medallist – alpine skiing) enroute to Roberta Bondar Park
Roberta Bondar Pavilion – 5 to 8 p.m.
- Activities prior to flame arrival begin at 5 p.m. with interactive sports and demos; craft station, face painting, music and relay video highlights. Food vendors will be on site.
- Singer-songwriter Kalle Mattson will pass the flame to Jessica Tuomela, Paralympic and Parapan Am medallist – swimming, who will light the community cauldron at 7 p.m, followed by the official Pan Am portion of the celebration
- Entertainment to include performances by The Hustle Brothers and Francesco Yates
Families unable to attend the June 1 TO2015 Torch Relay festivities can celebrate at the Northern Community Centre (556 Goulais Avenue) on Sunday, May 31. Activities run from 1-3 p.m. including interactive sports, craft station, various displays and free snacks.
Torch Relay Schedule – Tuesday, June 2
Civic Centre – 8:15 – 8:20 a.m., main entrance steps
- Start of day Pan Am flame lighting ceremony begins with Justin Tetreault as the first torchbearer
For further details regarding the TO2015 Torch Relay celebrations taking place in Sault Ste. Marie, visit www.SaultSteMarie.ca/PanAm.
The Pan Am Torch Relay begins May 30 and will finish in Toronto July 10 with the lighting of the cauldron at the Opening Ceremony, signifying the start of the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games.
Additional TO2015 Torch Relay information including daily highlights is available at TORONTO2015.org/torch-relay.