The City of Sault Ste. Marie would like to remind residents to take the necessary steps to reduce problem bears. Bear sightings have been reported in recent months in various neighbourhoods and locations throughout the city.
By following these simple tips, you can reduce the chance of attracting bears to your property:
– put garbage in containers with tight-fitting lids; put containers out on the morning of garbage day -frequently wash garbage cans, recycling containers and lids with a strong disinfectant
– if you do not have curbside pick-up, take garbage to the dump often
– fill bird feeders only through the winter months
– do not leave pet food outdoors, in porches or in screened-in areas
– do not put meat, fish or fruit in outside composters
– pick all ripe fruit from trees and bushes and fallen fruit off the ground
– remove grease/food residue from BBQ grills, including the grease cup, after each use
Often a bear is just passing through, and if it does not find a food source it will simply move on. If you see a bear and there is no immediate danger, call the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) Bear Wise Reporting Line at 1-888-514-2327.
For more information on what to do if you encounter a black bear on your property or while enjoying the outdoors, visit the MNR website at www.ontario.ca/bearwise.
If a bear appears to be threatening, persistent or aggressive, call the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service immediately at 911.