A piece of North Shore history will find a new home

0

At the Algoma District School Board Committee of the Whole meeting held on Tuesday, September 15th, a piece of history changed hands in an agreement between ADSB and the Municipality of Huron Shores.

The iron bell, that sat prominently on the property of Iron Bridge Public School since 1954 is being donated to the Municipality of Huron Shores. The existing Iron Bridge Public School was built in 1954 and was constructed with the most modern amenities representative of the time. The bell has been a symbolic feature of education in the community as the school grew into the present day building.

The original school (S.S. No. One Gladstone) that served students in the Iron Bridge area was a two room log building that was constructed in 1884. As the population grew in the area, the log school was replaced – though it was still a two-room school – with a frame building built by James Forrest in 1911. In that same year, teacher Miss Annie Morrison, and the students of S.S. No. One Gladstone, staged a series of concerts to raise funds to purchase a bell for their school. They succeeded and the bell was installed.

Mayor of Huron Shores, Gil Reeves, commented on the historical significance of the bell and how pleased he is that it will find a new home within the community of Iron Bridge: “The Iron Bridge Public School bell has been an icon in our community for over a century. On behalf of the Municipality of Huron Shores, and the community of Iron Bridge, I thank the Algoma District School Board for deciding that the bell will remain with us, where it will be seen and appreciated by many former area students.”

Mayor of Huron Shores Gill Reeves (right) and ADSB Director Lucia Reece (left) make it official in the donation of the iron school bell from Iron Bridge Public School to the Municipality of Huron Shores.
Mayor of Huron Shores Gill Reeves (right) and ADSB Director Lucia Reece (left) make it official in the donation of the iron school bell from Iron Bridge Public School to the Municipality of Huron Shores.