Sault residents living with disabilities feel abandoned by the current government, says NDP Candidate Skip Morrison.
“Nearly 15% of Canadians, including many seniors, have some form of disability. Two million Canadians with disabilities, hundreds and hundreds here in the Sault, do not have access to the supports they need. In a country as wealthy as Canada that’s unacceptable,” says Morrison.
“An NDP government will make Canada more accessible and ensure that Canadians with disabilities have an equal opportunity to participate in the workforce and everyday life.”
The New Democrats Plan for Supporting Canadians with Disabilities is aimed at making sure all Canadians have the opportunity to live with dignity and respect.
Tom Mulcair and the NDP will:
• Introduce a Canadians with Disabilities Act, which will seek to eliminate systemic barriers that Canadians with disabilities face;
• Provide 41000 more home care spaces to help seniors with disabilities stay in their homes longer;
• Work with provinces, territories, Indigenous communities and disability organizations to review and coordinate income supports;
• Develop a National Action Plan to implement the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities; and
• Fix the CPP disability appeals process.
“Only Tom Mulcair is ready to deliver the change Canadians with disabilities need, by replacing Stephen Harper and repairing the damage the Conservatives have done.”