On Friday September 4, 2015 at approximately 10:35 am, members of the Superior East Wawa Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were called to a theft of gas from a local Wawa gas station. A description of the suspects and the motor vehicle was provided to police.
Patrolling officers later located the motor vehicle in question travelling northbound on Highway 17. As a result police made several attempts to stop the motor vehicle with negative results. A pursuit ensued only to be terminated moments later due to the danger of other travelling motorists.
Police were able to utilize officers from the Northwest Region to assist, officers were able to observe the suspects and motor vehicle drive to the rear of a local White River business located along Highway 17.
As a result of this investigation a 15 year old North Bay Ontario male was arrested and charged with the following offences,
– Theft Under $5000 Young Person contrary to section 334(b) of the Criminal Code of Canada
– Possession of Property Obtained by Crime over $5000 Young Person contrary to section 354(1)(a) of the CC
– Dangerous Operation of Motor Vehicle Young Person contrary to section 249(1)(a) of the CC
– Flight while Pursued by police officer Young Person contrary to section 249.1(1) of the CC
– Fail to Comply with Sentence x 5 Young Person contrary to section 137 of the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
The Young offender was held in custody for Bail Hearing in Sault Ste Marie for Tuesday September 8, 2015.