The Coalition for Algoma passenger Trains (CAPT) is holding a Town Hall Meeting and media conference at 7:00 pm on Wednesday, September 30 in the Plummer Room of the Sault Ste. Marie Civic Centre (City Hall).
The agenda includes the following:
1. Report from the CAPT rep on the ACR Passenger Train Stakeholders Working Group
2. Request to CN for special passenger train service for businesses and other property owners to winterize prior to freeze-up. If CN has agreed to provide this special, emergency service we will announce the dates and celebrate the news. If CN has not yet agreed, we will have reps from many of the lakes and communities along the rail line explaining the urgent need for this service and the kind of property damage that could result from properties not being prepared for freeze-up and higher water levels in the fall. For example, people from Oba Lake, the village of Oba, Trout Lake, Ogidaki Lake and Achigan Lake will be describing their situations.
3. Plans for rescheduling 2015 train events cancelled due to cancellation of the passenger train since July. These include the Group of Seven and Glenn Gould Train Event, the Journey of the Iron Horse (a new Indigenous train event organized in partnership with the Missanabie Cree First Nation), the Taste of Hearst Event and the Searchmont North Pole Express.
4. Recordings of the following ACR inspired music will be played to boost our train spirits:
“Song of the ACR” by Jeffrey Riordan Hinich,
“ACRail Song” by Marion Linton and Steve Marshall
5. This will also be an opportunity for many of us in the ACR passenger community to be together again after a long summer of not seeing each other on the train.
6. Light refreshments will be available.