Tentative deal reached with Correctional workers

0
James Kemp. President OPSEU L601 with other workers for an information picket Tuesday

UPDATE:

Ontario has reached a tentative three-year collective agreement with the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU), with respect to the Correctional Bargaining Unit.
The outcome is net-zero and remains consistent with the fiscal plan as outlined in the 2015 Budget. This agreement, if ratified, will support the government’s ongoing efforts to eliminate the deficit while protecting the valued public services Ontario families rely on.
The Ontario government and OPSEU must ratify the tentative agreement before details can be released. The Central Collective Agreement and the Unified Bargaining Unit Collective Agreement were ratified on October 30, 2015.

Earlier story

Correctional Workers at the Ministry of Children and Youth Probation office, the Don Doucet Youth Centre and the Remand Centre are growing frustrated with the slow moving progress towards a new collective agreement.

DSC_1066“for the longest time there was no negotiations happening at all between either parties and with essential service agreements that have to be negotiated in case of a labour stoppage and those took a very long time” James Kemp, President of OPSEU local 601 told Saultonline.com

DSC_1072The workers, about 200  in total locally have been working without a contract for almost a year. Their last four year deal expired December 31, 2014. They join another 4,800 across the Province.

Kemp says the main thing they are looking at is their own contract “we don’t want to be tied to the civil service, it’s not fair that 30,000 people can vote on something that only affects about 5,000 of us -we’ve been fighting for the last couple of years to get our own, we had to fight with the union to get them on side”

Kemp says another issue is the shortage of correctional staff across the Province “we’re at least 850 workers short in Ontario” The safety of their workers is another major concern for the union, citing 835 assaults on correctional staff in 2013 alone. “That needs to be addressed” said Kemp.  “the Province says it’s hiring staff, well last year they hired 22 in a facility that was 300 short, there’s all kinds of health and safety concessions that we need in our job that are unique to us and not to nine to fivers”

DSC_1078

About 40 union members took part in the picket outside the Ministry of Child and Youth Probation office to inform the public “we’re frustrated with the government and how this has proceeded” Kemp said.

“We don’t want to go out for Christmas and I’m sure the managers working in the institutions that want us to go out either”

Kemp says the union does not have a strike mandate as of yet and it waiting word on how negotiations are going and if a no board report will be filed before the union takes any kind of job action.

UPDATE:

Ontario has reached a tentative three-year collective agreement with the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU), with respect to the Correctional Bargaining Unit.
The outcome is net-zero and remains consistent with the fiscal plan as outlined in the 2015 Budget. This agreement, if ratified, will support the government’s ongoing efforts to eliminate the deficit while protecting the valued public services Ontario families rely on.
The Ontario government and OPSEU must ratify the tentative agreement before details can be released. The Central Collective Agreement and the Unified Bargaining Unit Collective Agreement were ratified on October 30, 2015.