If you are going to be out of town (or otherwise unable to vote on February 1, 2016) you can still cast a ballot in the 2016 municipal by-election.
Advance Vote Days will be held at the Civic Centre on Saturday, January 16, 2016 between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. and on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m.
If you are unable to vote on Voting Day or at an Advance Vote you may appoint another person to act as a proxy to vote on your behalf.
- You must be an eligible elector in Ward 2 in the City of Sault Ste. Marie.
We recommend contacting the City Clerk’s Office (705-759-5388) to confirm that you are on the Ward 2 Voters List as soon as possible.
- The person you are asking to vote on your behalf (the person acting as your proxy) must also be an eligible elector in the City of Sault Ste. Marie but does not have to reside in Ward 2.
- A proxy can only act for one unrelated person.
- A proxy can act for more than one related person (spouse, child, parent, grandparent, grandchild or sibling). Separate proxy forms are required for each elector.
- To appoint your voting proxy you must complete the prescribed form (available from the City Clerk’s Office either in person or by email).
- The person who is voting on your behalf (your voting proxy) must attend at the City Clerk’s Office with the original completed proxy form and photo identification. Proxy forms will be processed during normal office hours (8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday except statutory holidays) and on Advance Vote Days (Saturday January 16, 2016 and Wednesday, January 20, 2016) during voting hours. The City Clerk or Deputy City Clerk will examine and, if satisfied, certify the proxy.
- The completed proxy form is a public record and the copy on file with the Clerk may be inspected by any person.
- Unless the person acting as a proxy votes on an Advance Vote Day, they must attend at the voting location the appointing voter is assigned to. The proxy must present the original proxy form which has been certified by the City Clerk (or Deputy City Clerk) at the voting location in order to receive a ballot.
The Deputy Returning Officer receives the completed and certified proxy form and requires that the proxy voter take an oral oath to the effect that they are the appointed elector and will vote as directed by the elector who appointed them.
The following is the list of certified candidates for the upcoming February 1, 2016 by-election.
Councillor – Ward 2 (One to be Elected)
Jody Curran – 11 Summit Avenue
[email protected] | (705) 949-0339
Luke Dufour – 20 McNabb Street
[email protected] | (705) 257-2992
John Duke – 72 Borron Avenue
[email protected] | (705) 206-3855
Sandra Hollingsworth – 1785 Queen Street East
Andy Martens – 38 Texas Avenue
[email protected] | (705) 971-1437
Susan Milne – 71 Hamilton Avenue
[email protected] | (705) 949-2511 (h) or (705) 297-7688 (c)
David Poluck – 357 Northern Avenue East
[email protected] | (705) 253-2645
Ron Schinners – 335 Sussex Road
[email protected] | (705) 257-6384
Les Weeks – 43 Wemyss Street
[email protected] | (705) 256-8361