With no snow on the ground and temperatures anything but “winter-like” you might think the people behind one of Canada’s biggest winter carnivals would be nervous, but they’re so confident there will be snow for the 53rd Bon Soo Winter Carnival they’ve expanded it by two days.
That’s one of the many changes announced at the kick off event by President Brett Lund.
The winter festival will kick off Thursday February 4th with the New York Fries Youth Concert featuring Mustang Sally. The Grand Opening of the Winter playground, at its new home at the Mill Square, follows the next day along with the opening Bon Soo Fireworks Extravaganza sponsored by Ontario Lottery and Gaming.
One big change will be the polar bear swim being moved to the first Sunday of the carnival. The polar bear swim normally anchors the final weekend but the change will provide the ability of rescheduling the event should it be necessary due to unfavourable weather.
Passport To Unity, the popular multicultural event normally held in May is now part of Bon Soo festivities being staged at the Essar Centre on the 14th of February.
Other new events include the 23rd Pow Wow at Sault College and the Walmart (North) Bon Tots Sunday Fun-day! being held at the Bushplane Centre on Sunday February 7th. The all day Kiwanis Bon Soo Pancake Breakfast will also start up opening weekend.
Another new addition is the Snow Ball, a gala event including dinner and dancing at the Northern Grand Gardens on Saturday February 13th, proudly supported by SaultOnline with proceeds benefiting ARCH Hospice.
The new Bon Soo button features the theme 12 days of Bon Soo and are now on sale.
The following is list highlighting some of the events slated for the 53rd Bon Soo Winter Carnival:
- Day 1 – Feb. 4th – New York Fries Youth Concert ft. Mustang Sally
- Day 2 – Feb. 5th – Grand Opening of Winter Playground & OLG Fireworks Fireworks Extravaganza
- Day 3 – Feb. 6th – Night of Fire & Ice: Winter Wonderland
- Day 4 – Feb. 7th – OLG Polar Bear Swim
- Day 5 – Feb. 8th – Evening with the Greyhounds
- Day 6 – Feb. 9th – TD Canada Trust High School Special Olympics
- Day 7 – Feb. 10th – Celebrating SnoMadness proudly supported by SaultOnline
- Day 8 – Feb. 11th – Great Lakes Honda Community Driven Awards
- Day 9 – Feb. 12th – FRIDAY! (an Evening of Grown Up Fun)
- Day 10 – Feb. 13th – Snow Ball to benefit ARCH proudly supported by SaultOnline
- Day 11 – Feb. 14th – Mr. Bon Soo’s Passport To Unity
- Day 12 – Feb. 15th – Algoma Financial Group Family Day & Family Dance at Grand Gardens North