The Sault Ste. Marie Police Service would like to remind motorists that the holiday break is upon us and students are out of school. Students are out of school from December 18th, 2015 and will return on January 4th, 2016
Young children at times pay more attention to the fun they are having than the possible dangers present. Motorists are reminded to be on the look out for children playing on and near roadways. Parents are asked to speak to their children about the dangers of playing on and near roadways, in snow banks and ditches and near water. Help make sure that all children in our community have a safe and accident free holiday break.
The Christmas Break is also a time when many families take a holiday and leave the city. Make sure that you take steps to reduce your chances of having your home broken into.
Some of the following crime prevention tips should be considered:
- Use lights on timers
- Let your neighbours know that you are away and when you will be returning.
- Arrange for your mail to be held by Canada Post and for your newspaper to be put on hold until you return.
- If you don’t put these items on hold ask someone to collect them on a daily basis to prevent the buildup of these items in your mailbox.
- Arrange for someone to shovel your driveway.
- Consider having a neighbour park their car in your driveway so that it looks like someone is home.
- Have someone check your house on a daily basis.
- If you know your neighbours are away and see someone suspicious around their home, don’t hesitate to report the activity to the police.
- Make sure all your windows and doors are locked and that sliding patio doors are secured.
For further crime prevention tips contact the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service at 949-6300.