Report coming on fatal Ottawa bus-train crash

0

OTTAWA – The Transportation Safety Board is to release its report today on a collision between an Ottawa transit bus and a passenger train which killed six people.

The deadly crash between the OC Transpo bus and a Via Rail train took place in September 2013.

An interim report from the TSB released last year said the bus was travelling just above the speed limit at the time of the crash.

It also said that a coroner found the bus driver — who was among those killed — had no medical issues at the time and drug and alcohol tests on him were negative.

The double-decker bus went through a rail crossing gate at 8:47 a.m. on Sept. 18, 2013 and slammed into the Via locomotive.

Passengers Connor Boyd, Kyle Nash, Michael Bleakney, Karen Krzyzewski and Rob More were killed, as was driver Dave Woodard.

The fatal collision focused attention on the more than 40,000 provincially and federally regulated public and private level railway crossings throughout the country.