Every three minutes another Canadian will hear the words ‘you have cancer’ for the first time and the Canadian Cancer Society wants them to know that they are not alone.
To some, the daffodil is just a flower. To us, it is a symbol of strength and courage, a symbol of life. It says we will not give up. It says we will fight back. It says we will beat cancer.
During Daffodil Month, the Canadian Cancer Society is asking the community to join the fight against cancer and make a difference by:
- Wearing a daffodil pin to show your support for people living with cancer. Daffodil pins can be found throughout the month of April at over 70 locations in Sault Ste. Marie and Algoma.
- Buying fresh daffodils – the Society’s symbol of life- at Rome’s Independent grocer.
- Donating to the Canadian Cancer Society when a volunteer canvasser knocks on your door.
- Buying a daffodil pin from a volunteer, March 31- April 1 at various locations in Sault Ste Marie.
- Donating when checking out at Sears, Home Hardware, Shabby Motley, Stork and Bundle, Grand Gardens North, Pino’s Get Fresh Foods, Foremost Pet Foods, IDA Market Mall and IDA Station Mall.
Money raised through Daffodil Month helps local patients and their families living with more than 200 different types of cancer by doing everything we can to prevent cancer from ever happening in the first place. We do this through funding research to outsmart cancer and empowering, informing, supporting and improving the lives of Canadians living with cancer, so that fewer Canadians are touched by the disease. You’ll also be supporting our local Algoma Peer Support, Information and Referral and Wheels of Hope transportation programs. Donations are also accepted at our office located at 390 McNabb St. Sault Ste. Marie.
About the Canadian Cancer Society, Ontario Division
The Canadian Cancer Society is a national community-based organization of volunteers whose mission is the eradication of cancer and the enhancement of the quality of life of people living with cancer. The Canadian Cancer Society is dedicated to preventing cancer, saving lives and supporting people living with cancer through research funding, support services and advocacy. We are Canada’s largest charity fighting all types of cancer and leading authority on cancer statistics and information. When you want to know more about cancer, visit cancer.ca or call our toll-free, bilingual Cancer Information Service at 1 888 939-3333.