Three community leaders have joined the Board of Directors for the Sault Ste. Marie Economic Development Corporation (SSMEDC). Following the organization’s annual general meeting earlier today, the following people were elected to the volunteer Board:
Paul Skeggs is a lawyer with Skeggs Paciocco Lawyers LLP. He sits on the Board of Directors for the Sault Ste. Marie Chamber of Commerce, is Chair of the Strive Young Professionals Group, and Past-President of the Algoma University Alumni Council.
Frank O’Connor is the owner of The Voyageurs’ Lodge & Cookhouse, a four-season destination resort. He’s also a Professor in the Business Department at Sault College.
Bill Freiburger is the former Commissioner of the Finance Department for the City of Sault Ste. Marie. He retired in 2015 following more than 30 years of Municipal service.
Also at today’s annual general meeting, SSMEDC Past President Greg Punch retired from the Board of Directors following 14 years of volunteer service. Another longtime SSMEDC Board member, Albert Giommi, retired from his position earlier this year.
The Sault Ste. Marie Economic Development Corporation is a non-profit organization governed by a Board of Directors consisting of business and community leaders. The Board is a dedicated group of volunteers who commit thousands of hours annually to the governance, planning and administration of the corporation. With changes to the Executive Committee, the SSMEDC Board now consists of:
- Robert Reid (President): Owner, N-Sci Technologies Inc.
- Don Mitchell (Past President): Vice-President of Commercial Lines/Partner, Algoma Insurance Group
- Terry Rainone (First Vice-President): President, Palmer Construction Group and McRain Developments
- Donna Hilsinger (Secretary): General Manager, Algoma’s Water Tower Inn & Suites
- Lori Naccarato (Treasurer): Senior Account Manager, Business Development Bank of Canada
- Bill Freiburger: Commissioner of Finance (retired), City of Sault Ste. Marie
Christiane Husemann: Real Estate Broker, Royal LePage Northern Advantage
- Geoff Meakin: President, Meakin Contracting
- John Martella: Northern Ontario District Manager, Green For Life
- Frank O’Connor: Owner, The Voyageurs’ Lodge & Cookhouse
- Brian Robertson: President (retired), Royal Tire
- Pramod Shukla: Chief Operating Officer, Essar Steel Algoma
- Paul Skeggs: Lawyer, Skeggs Paciocco Lawyers LLP
- Kevin Wyer (Chair of Tourism SSM): General Manager, Delta Sault Ste. Marie Waterfront Hotel
- Sandra Hollingsworth: Ward 2 City Councillor
- Mayor Christian Provenzano (Ex-Officio)
- Dr. Ron Common: President, Sault College
- Dr. Craig Chamberlin: President, Algoma University
- Dan Friyia: Executive Director, Community Development Corporation of Sault Ste. Marie & Area
- Rory Ring: Executive Director, Sault Ste. Marie Chamber of Commerce