If you’ve been waiting to dispose of some hazardous waste products, wait no more.
The City’s Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Depot has relocated from the Industrial Park property to the Municipal Landfill site at 402 Fifth Line East as of Tuesday, June 7.
“we wanted to create a one stop shop, the other facility was getting congested and the site itself was getting congested with some traffic issues we were having , so we thought if we’re going to have a year round operation let’s move it to the landfill where you can do everything at once” said Larry Girardi Commissioner, Public Works and Transportation.
“Most people know where the Fifth Line landfill site is, so it’s making it easier transition”
Old paint cans, batteries , car wax and other chemicals and other toxins will be accepted.
The operators will remove the unwanted items from your vehicle and deposit it in the proper bins” Girardi said. The service remains free of charge. Once the material is packaged up properly by the operators on-site. The bins are shipped away.
· Hours are Tuesday to Saturday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. until October 31
· Hours are Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., November 1 to March 31
· The HHW Depot will also be open one Saturday each month, November to March
· No drop off fee: free for Sault Ste. Marie residents and small businesses
Items that won’t be accepted are;
Unacceptable Hazardous Waste
Large Commercial Business hazardous waste
PCB waste (light ballast, etc.)
Explosives / Ammunition / Fire Arms
Asbestos products of any kind
Electronics – Can be taken to Community Recycling Depot
Large spray foam insulation canisters (return to place of purchase)
For a list of acceptable items that can be dropped off at the Depot, visit www.saultstemarie.ca/HHW or call 705-759-5201.
Also a reminder of new hours at the landfill start today.
The new hours of operation for the Municipal Landfill site at 402 Fifth Line East take effect Monday, June 6.
· Open Monday to Saturday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. through to October 31
· Open Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 pm., November 1 to March 31
· The Landfill site will also be open one Saturday each month, November to March
· Landfill fees apply
For more information visit www.saultstemarie.ca/landfill or call the Public Works and Transportation Department at 705-759-5201.