(LAIRD TOWNSHIP, ON) – On August 22, 2016 at approximately 2:00 p.m. an officer with the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Highway Safety Division observed a vehicle traveling eastbound on Highway 17 at a high rate of speed.
The vehicle was stopped and as a result of further investigation, 8.4 lbs of Cannabis Marihuana and under $5000 in Canadian Currency was seized.
The estimated street value of the Cannabis Marihuana is $76,240.
The driver of the vehicle Sacha CESAR-NELSON, age 35, of Saint Hubert, Quebec was arrested and charged with:
* Possession of a Schedule 11 substance-Cannabis Marihuana-over 30 grams contrary to section 4(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA)
* Possession of a Schedule 11 substance for the purpose of Trafficking- over 3 kg contrary to section 5(2) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA)
* Fail to Comply with Probation Order contrary to section 733.1(1) of the Criminal Code (CC)
* Possession Property Obtained by Crime over $5000 contrary to section 354(1)(a) of the Criminal Code (CC)
* Exceed the speed limit contrary to section 128 Highway Traffic Act (HTA)
The accused was remanded to the Ontario Court of Justice in Sault Ste Marie, August 23, 2016.