Suspect in Quebec City mosque shooting called 911

0

QUEBEC – Police say one of the suspected gunmen involved in a horrific shooting at Quebec City mosque that left six people dead called 911 late Sunday indicating he wanted to co-operate with authorities.

A police spokesman says the man waited for officers who arrested him without incident not long after the bloody massacre at the Centre Culturel Islamique de Quebec in Quebec City’s Ste-Foy neighbourhood.

Police say they received reports of shots being fired at the mosque just before 8 p.m., when many had gathered at the building for evening prayers.

They say one suspect was arrested not far from the mosque and the second suspect, who called 911, was arrested a short time after just east of Quebec City’s downtown core.

The six people killed in the attack were between the ages of 35 and 60.

Nineteen people were injured in the attack — five remain in hospital in critical condition while 14 have been treated and released.

Police said today it is too early to specify what charges will be laid.

RCMP did not want to give the ethnic origin of the two accused but said they were not previously known to authorities.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard have called the shooting a “terrorist attack.”