Late last night, Sunday, March 19, 2017 the newly installed CO detectors at W.J. McMeeken Centre were triggered and an orderly evacuation of the building was immediately undertaken.
Emergency services were dispatched and took readings that confirmed higher than normal carbon monoxide levels. There were no users of the facility requiring medical attention.
However, anyone attending last evening during this event is encouraged to seek a diagnosis if they are experiencing symptoms such as headache, weakness, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion or blurred vision. As a precaution, one staff member was checked out and received clearance.
The investigation into the February 28, 2017 incident at W.J. McMeeken Centre did not isolate a single source for higher than normal carbon monoxide levels pointing instead to a number of deficiencies relating to the aging infrastructure that in combination appeared to trigger the event. After significant review, all the recommendations made by the 3rd party engineer stemming from the February 28, 2017 were implemented prior to the McMeeken Centre being reopened on Thursday, March 9, 2017. This latest incident of March 19, 2017 has required further investigation and the facility has therefore been closed indefinitely pending the outcome of this examination.
The health and safety of citizens and staff remains paramount. City staff will continue to work diligently with outside experts to attempt to identify the cause of this latest incident. Further information will be provided as it becomes available.