Further to a SaultOnline.com story posted today on the mystery surrounding the crashed plane in Northern Ontario. Shortly after the University of Michigan issued the following.
– The student is 27, of Ann Arbor, a PhD candidate in the School of Information. Name withheld out of respect to the family.
– He last was seen Wednesday (March 15) morning; later that day, he rented a small airplane from the Ann Arbor Airport and flew north.
– The plane was found crashed in northwest Ontario, but the pilot was not in the plane at the time of the crash, according to Canadian authorities.
– The active air and ground searches for him have been suspended.
– University Police have reasons to believe his actions likely were an act of self-harm.
Out of respect for his family, classmates and colleagues, we won’t have additional information to release on the investigation.