This year, 17 youth in the Sault Ste. Marie area started businesses under Summer Company. The young entrepreneur program is administered in the region by the Sault Ste. Marie Economic Development Corporation. Funded by the Province of Ontario, it provides grants and mentoring to assist students between the ages of 15 and 29 in starting a seasonal business.
“Many people don’t know if entrepreneurship is for them, and Summer Company allows them to run a summer business in a low-list environment,” said Angela Bruni, an Economic Development Officer with the Sault Ste. Marie Economic Development Corporation. “In a lot of cases, Summer Company participants transform their businesses into year-round operations. This speaks to the value and draw of the program.”
The 2017 Summer Company participants in the Sault Ste. Marie area are:
Brady’s Brick Maintenance: Bradon Caruso (705-943-7116)
– Does your driveway need paving or need some maintenance due to our extreme temperatures? Brady’s Brick Maintenance is determined to help you create that beautiful look, at a great cost.
VSA 705: Averi Bodnar (705-254-1286)
– Do you want to learn and play some volleyball this summer? VSA 705 is a volleyball skills summer camp and offers an evening beach volleyball league.
KODI Apparel: Cody Bryant (email@example.com)
– Need some graphic t-shirts designed? KODI is a graphic design business that can custom make apparel for you.
Tinker: Ateesh Mishra (705-313 5480)
– Have you ever wanted to rent a tool instead of breaking the bank to buy a new one? Tinker is an online business that allows you to rent tools and supplies. Because a neighbourhood doesn’t need more than one lawn mower.
01 Lawn Care: Owen Appleton (705-987-3809)
– Let 01 Lawn Care take care of your lawn this summer, so you can sit back and enjoy the warm, summer days.
Sault Scanning: Alex Campana (705-257-1634)
– Do you have a pile of old photos that you want on your computer? Sault Scanning provides a photo scanning service that scans physical 4×6 photos and slides, then transfers them to a USB stick.
Firewood Supplier: Kane Coulson (705-943-6303)
– Need some firewood for those summer bonfires? Firewood Supplier does just that – cuts, splits and supplies firewood, just for you.
B Natural Beauty: Bianca Ligouri (705-779-2616)
– Want to smell great and feel even better? B Natural Beauty produces and sells hand-crafted lavender coconut creams to women to enhance their lives.
Dokum’s Lawn Care: Dalton Dokum (705-257-2801)
– “Let it grow or let us mow” is the motto for Dokum’s Lawn Care. Let Dalton and his team take care of your lawn this summer.
Well Split Wood: Walker Gregoire (705-941-0430)
– Well Split Wood splits wood well, so call Walker today for some firewood.
Steph & Trevor Dog Walking: Stephanie Labbe (604-355-1473)
– Are you going on vacation and worried about your furry loved one? Let the loving Step & Trevor take care of your furry family member with their dog walking and pet sitting business.
Fleming Lawn Care: Ryan Fleming (705-987-2969)
– Fleming Lawn Care is a lawn care maintenance business ready to take care of your lawn, so you don’t have to.
Dan’s Cleanup Co.: Daniel Maione (705-949-2068)
– Are you too tired from working all week to do yard maintenance, power washing, hauling loads to the landfill, trimming shrubs or cutting down very small trees and shrubs? Call Dan’s Cleanup Co.
Nicholson’s Naturals: Gabrielle Nicholson (705-206-1640)
– Want to get your hands on some amazing soaps and related products such as natural scrubs, and make-up removers? Come see Nicholson’s Naturals at the Algoma Farmer’s Market every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and check out her Facebook page at www.facebook.com/nicholsonnaturalssm.
Superior Landscaping: Austin Nori (705-779-2952)
– Always dreading that weekly lawn trim? Let Superior Landscaping take over and keep your grass clean and green this summer.
Maya Digital: Maya Pottekkat (705-257-6264)
– Have you always wanted to start an e-business? Maya Digital can help you out by providing you guidance on starting a Shopify business. Maya can create complete step-by-step written documentation and videos to guide clients through the process of starting their Shopify business.
Beads & Bling: Akeshia Trudeau (906-440-3688)
– Beads & Bling creates authentic Ojibwe beadwork and regalia. Custom orders and designs are available on request. Sales via internet, and direct sales available at powwows and community events.
Since 2010, a total of 107 businesses in the Sault Ste. Marie area were started through Summer Company. The young entrepreneur program is delivered at the Millworks Centre for Entrepreneurship. Operated by the Sault Ste. Marie Economic Development Corporation at the Machine Shop, the facility houses the organization’s enterprise services staff and programs, along with a small business incubator. For more information, visit www.themillworks.ca.