Unattended Cooking Remains a Cause For Concern say Fire Services


At approximately 11 p.m. on June 20, 2017, Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services responded to a call in the 100 block of Queen Street for a reported apartment fire. Upon arrival it was found that tenants had evacuated the building. Fire fighters entered and removed the occupant and confirmed the fire had been extinguished. Further investigation found the occupant had fallen asleep while heating oil in a pot on the stovetop to cook fries.

“Fire damage was confined to the kitchen stove, adjacent wall and cupboards above,” said Fire Prevention officer Carlo Provenzano. “Cooking late at night when tired, on medication or with the use of alcohol is not recommended.”

Unattended cooking continues to be the leading cause of residential fires in Sault Ste. Marie.

This incident was preventable and not considered to be suspicious.

Your Sault Ste. Marie Fire Service would like to remind all residents to never leave cooking unattended. Watch what you are cooking – especially if you are using oil or high temperatures. If you must leave for any reason, turn off the stove. Also, remember to test your smoke alarms every month, they could save your life.