Toronto student found dead in Algonquin Park


TORONTO – The body of a 15-year-old boy was pulled out of a lake almost a day after he disappeared underwater while swimming on a school-run camping trip in Algonquin Park, Ontario Provincial Police said.

Divers with the force’s underwater rescue unit found his body just before 3:30 p.m. Wednesday in Big Trout Lake, Const. Catherine Yarmel told reporters.

Yarmel said police would not be identifying the teen, but his father identified him as Jeremiah Perry in an interview with a Toronto TV station earlier in the day.

The boy had been on a summer school outdoor educational program trip with about 37 other students to Algonquin Park since Sunday and was due to return the following Friday, said Ryan Bird, a spokesman for the Toronto District School Board. He had been swimming with 22 other students when he disappeared underwater in Big Trout Lake Tuesday evening and did not resurface.

Provincial police were contacted and began a search and recover mission on Tuesday, Bird said.

By Wednesday, this included the use of underwater search-and-recovery divers, an emergency response team and a float plane from the Ministry of Natural Resources to evacuate the remaining students from the park. But the float plane suffered an unspecified mechanical issue, police said, and was disabled.

Toronto District School Board spokeswoman Shari Schwartz-Maltz said that there would have been three lifeguards watching the boy and the 22 other students who had been swimming in Big Trout Lake when he disappeared underwater. All students on the trip were also required to pass a swimming test.

She said the school board will have counsellors meet with students and staff who were on the trip.

The boy’s father, Joshua Anderson, said that he thought the school would have their children’s safety under control.

“That was the least on our minds thinking about the safety because we know the school is supposed to have proper supervision, proper protocol, everything in place,” he told CP24.

Anderson said his 17-year-old son was on the school camping trip.
Police dog attacks civilian during training
July 5, 2017, 7:34 PM

REGINA – The Regina police service is investigating after one of its dogs attacked a civilian during a training exercise.

Police spokeswoman Elizabeth Popowich says on Tuesday night, the canine unit officer and dog were taking part in a tracking scenario where the dog was on a 10-foot leash.

As they rounded the corner of a house, the dog left the track he was following and went after a 56-year-old man who was sitting on his front step.

Popowich says the victim was bitten on his right leg and pulled off the step by the dog.

The officer got the dog under control and called for EMS, which took the victim to hospital for treatment of puncture wounds to his leg.

Popowich says a committee within the police service made up of six officers and headed by an inspector will review the case to determine what led to the incident.

“Pending the outcome of the review, steps will be taken, if necessary, to amend policy and training standards to prevent such occurrences in the future,” she says. “The service will also continue to communicate with the victim to ensure he is apprised of the result.”