Consider These Financial Gifts for Your Grandchildren


If you’re a grandparent yourself, you already know the pleasures of having grandchildren in your life. And like so many grandparents, you may be looking at ways to help your grandchildren get the most out of their lives.

Perhaps the most valuable thing you could give to your grandkids is the gift of education. Consider this: Over a lifetime, post secondary graduates earn, on average, about $1 million more than those without a degree according to the Census Bureau. So, putting money toward your grandchildren’s post secondary education is a good investment.

Furthermore, your grandchildren may well need the help, because getting an education is expensive and costs continue to rise. Consequently, you may want to contribute to an RESP. You have several options for how the money can be invested and contribution limits were increased when the new federal budget was introduced. All withdrawals are free from federal income taxes, provided the money is used for qualified education expenses.

If you name one grandchild as a beneficiary of an RESP and that grandchild decides not to go to college or university, you can switch the account to another grandchild — in other words, you maintain control of the money for the life of the account.

Another common way to invest money for a grandchild’s education is through the use of an “in trust” account. An “in-trust’ account is an informal trust because there is no trust deed. However, it’s important to note that once gifted, this money no longer belongs to the donor.

If you put money into either a formal trust or an in-trust account for a minor grandchild, all income will be taxed in your hands until the child reaches age 18. Any capital gains will be taxed to the child regardless of their age. This is why investments that generate capital gains are ideally suited to this type of arrangement.

For this type of arrangement to work properly, care must be taken to ensure that the in-trust account is set up properly and complies with the applicable tax rules. Whichever option is right for your family, there are a variety of opportunities for you to give something to the grandchildren who give so much to you.

This article was written by Edward Jones for use by your local Edward Jones Financial Advisor.

Jodi Nastor, CFP
Edward Jones
390 McNabb Street Unit 2
[email protected]

Member – Canadian Investor Protection Fund


  1. I do agree that a TFSA can be used for your grandchildren to benefit, however you need to take extra steps when minor children are involved. What I like about RESPs is that the Government will contribute up to $7200 under the 20% grant program. That means that RESPs offer a annual guaranteed rate of return of $500 (20% on $2500 contribution) utilizing the federal government’s Canada Education Savings Grant. Once your grandchildren turn 18, you may want to consider giving them funds to invest in their own TFSA.

Comments are closed.