How Did Your Pumpkin Grow? The Fifth Annual Pumpkin Festival sponsored by Rector Machine Works will take place on Saturday, September 30th at the Roberta Bondar Pavilion from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm. The Sault Ste. Marie Public Library will also be partnering with The Algoma Farmer’s Market and the City of Sault Ste. Marie to host the Annual Pumpkin Weigh Off.
Enter your potentially award winning giant pumpkin for everyone to admire. Please have your pumpkins on site by 11:00 am. The pumpkin weigh-off will begin at 12:00 pm. Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place.
Local restaurants will be featuring their favourite pumpkin appetizers starting at 10:00 am, so come out for the pumpkin taste sampling and place your vote for your favourite dish! Tickets will be sold at the event.
Family Story Time and Crafts will be offered from 11:00 am – 11:30 am.
The public is encouraged to bring a carved pumpkin to be judged in our pumpkin carving contest. The winning entry will receive a gift basket from Stone’s Office Supply. All carved pumpkin must be at the venue by 10:00 am at which time the judging will begin.
Pumpkin Carving Contest Rules
· The carving must be completed when it is brought to the event.
· Pumpkins cannot be painted or have any decoration on them.
· Pumpkin carving can be original or from a stencil, etc.
· Carvings which are deemed offensive, discriminatory or inappropriate will be disqualified.
· The owner’s name must be written on the pumpkin.
· Carvings will be judged on overall appearance, creativity and originality.
· No flames, candles, or lighting systems are permitted.
· Participants must take their carvings home with them.
· Your carving must possess a Canadian theme.
· Participants must sign up at the Sault Ste. Marie Public Library by calling 705-759-5447.
Other featured highlights will include pumpkin painting by local artist Amanda Turco as well as music by local musician Crystal Creek and face painting from EZ Face Painting. Be sure to take part in the community harvest art project which will later be displayed at the Centennial Public Library. Lastly, David’s Tea and Tim Horton’s will provide samples of hot drinks.
If you wish to sign up for the Pumpkin Weigh off or have any questions please call 705-759-5447.