Practice your home fire escape plan during Fire Prevention Week
Fire Chief Peter Johnson is urging families in Sault Ste. Marie to practice their home fire escape plan as part of Fire Prevention Week. This year’s theme of Fire Prevention Week, which runs from October 8-14, 2017, is “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!”
“Fire and smoke move faster than you,” said Fire Chief Peter Johnson. “There’s no time to figure out how to escape your home AFTER a fire starts. Practice an escape plan BEFORE there’s a fire so you can get out safely.”
In a fire, you may have just seconds to safely escape your home. Be prepared in advance with these simple steps for home fire escape planning:
– Assess the needs of everyone in your home Identify anyone who requires assistance to get out of the home safely, such as small children or older adults.
– Make sure that you have working smoke alarms on every storey of the home and outside all sleeping areas Make sure everyone in the home knows the sound of the smoke alarm.
– Identify all possible exits (doors and windows) and make sure they work Know two ways out of all areas, if possible.
– Everyone must know what to do when the smoke alarm sounds Assign someone to help those who need assistance. Identify a safe meeting place outside. Call the fire department from outside the home – from a neighbour’s home or a cell phone.
– Practice your home fire escape plan at least twice a year Have everyone participate. Make changes to your plan if necessary.
Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services is hosting a Greyhound Game on Wednesday, October 11, at the Essar Centre, in support of Fire Prevention Week and this year’s campaign. There is also a Pizza Box Contest throughout the week with community partner Aurora’s Pizza. Patrons will have an opportunity to show off their escape planning skills and a chance to win 1 of 10 great prizes! Follow @SaultFireServices, @AurorasRestaurant on Facebook, as well as @SaultFire on Twitter, Instagram for details. For more information contact Public Education Officer, Aaron Gravelle, by phone (705) 949-3377 or by email email@example.com.