Tourism Sault Ste. Marie hosted its 15th annual Tourism Awards last night. The evening recognized people, businesses and organizations for their contributions in bolstering the community’s visitor-friendly reputation. Held this year at Delta by Marriott Sault Ste. Marie Waterfront Hotel, the 2017 award winners are:
- Tourism Award of Excellence: Michael Wozny
- Business of the Year: Northern Superior Brewing Co.
- Customer Service Award: Savil “Popeye” Richards (Quattro Hotel & Conference Centre) and Philip Printess (Comfort Inn Sault Ste. Marie)
- Tourism Ambassador Award: Cathy Chlebus and Perry Vilaca, co-chairs of the 2016 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge
- Tourism SSM Student Culinary Management Award ($500 Scholarship): Christiana Paetzold
“Every day, we get positive reviews and compliments from visitors, and it’s the great people and organizations in the tourism industry that are responsible for making our community the warm and welcoming place that it is,” said Ian McMillan, Executive Director of Tourism Sault Ste. Marie. “I congratulate this year’s award winners and thank them for their continued efforts in bolstering tourism in our city.”
Being the 15th anniversary, this year’s ceremony provided a unique opportunity. During the event, the past winners of the Tourism Award of Excellence from 2003 to 2016 were recognized: Jim Hilsinger, Frank Prouse, Bill Durnford, Rosetta Sicoli, Michael Quinn, David Hornstein, Gary & Joanie McGuffin, John Rowswell, Hans Geenen, Carol Caputo, Bruce LaFleur, Kathryn Fisher, Michael Burtch, and Kim Forbes.
Tourism Sault Ste. Marie is a division of the Sault Ste. Marie Economic Development Corporation. For more information, visit www.sault-canada.com.