The splash pad sub-committee along with city staff have been working on the various aspects of the development of the splash pad to be located at Bellevue Park.
Request for proposals (RFP) for the design, delivery, and installation of the splash pad portion of the project closed on February 28th, 2018.
The four RFPs came from:
A.B.C. Recreation Ltd., Paris, ON
Acapulco Pools Limited, Kitchener, ON
CRCS Recreation, Sudbury, ON
Diamond Head Sprinklers Inc., Elmvale, ON
A number of factors were taken into consideration when reviewing and evaluating the proposals:
- The design and layout of the Splash Pad area must incorporate the principle of “inclusive” or “play for all”. All disabilities, as defined in the Ontario Human Rights Code, were considered to ensure the play space will satisfy the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities (AODA).
- Play zones including, but not limited to, a high action area, intermediate play area and a toddler area. High action water play features shall be incorporated in a manner which does not compromise the play facility use by very young children.
- Components should be colorful and the design should exhibit a smooth play transition from one play component to the next; exhibiting overall continuity, high quality, variety of play for users of varied abilities.
- The community survey results were used to develop the RFP and as reference point when evaluating the components included in the designs.
- Maintenance, warranty, and materials were also taken into consideration.