Cigarette Cause of Fire

4
Photo: Sent by Saultonline viewer as fire started.

Fire Services received a 911 call at approximately 3:00 pm on May 3rd, 2018 to the 1000 block of Third Line East.  A neighbour witnessed the fire and made a 911 call to Fire Services.

Responding crews arrived to a fully engulfed single family dwelling. Crews had the fire under control by approximately 4:30 pm.  The home was completely destroyed.

Further Investigation of the fire determined it was a result of a carelessly discarded cigarette.

The Fire Marshal was not called and the fire is not considered suspicious. “Fire Services would like to thank the neighbour and gentleman who was passing by at the time of the incident”, stated Deputy Chief – Paul Milosevich. “Without their quick actions and assistance, the outcome may have been different.”

Fire Services would like to remind the public to be extra careful when discarding smoking articles.  Ensure they are out completely and large, deep, stable ashtrays are utilized.

This time of year the potential for these types of fires rises, along with grass fires.

Third Line East remains closed today from Old Garden River Road to Foxborough Trail.

Check out SaultOnline’s coverage of the fire here.

4 COMMENTS

  1. If I smoked it would never be inside my home as who would want the gross stench and everything covered in gross yellow nicotine? Anyone that does should put the butts in a metal can with water in the bottom of it. Hope they had insurance and it covers stupidity. With any luck this will give other careless smokers a heads up before they burn their homes down too and possibly kill someone in the process.

Comments are closed.