Volunteer fire services from both Aweres Township (Heyden) and Goulais were dispatched to Trout Lake in response to a call for service for a fire which had gotten out of control earlier this afternoon. Although still under investigation, neighbours told SaultOnline that they assumed a small fire which the property owner had started to clean up his yard had most likely escaped containment during the breezy conditions. Neighbours were alerted to the incident unfolding after a number of loud explosions from portable gas cans were heard along with thick black clouds of smoke rising into the air.
Aweres Volunteer Fire Department, with the assistance of Goulais Fire and Rescue, were on scene at the Point Road residence with several fire trucks battling the blaze which had spread to a number of surrounding portable structures, a retaining wall, camper and other yard equipment. Algoma Power was also dispatched to the scene to disconnect power to the affected lots. Power lines had fallen onto a burning camper and to the ground from a nearby residence, hindering firefighters efforts due to the risk of water being discharged coming into contact with the live wires.
Thanks to firefighters efforts, the property owner’s residence appeared to only suffer damage to its siding which was melted away due to the extreme heat caused by the fire. Surrounding structures and yard equipment however sustained extensive damage.
It is worth noting that the fire season in Ontario is from April 1st to October 31st. Daytime burning is not permitted during the fire season. Fires can be ignited no earlier than two hours before sunset and must be extinguished no later than two hours after sunrise. Never leave your fire unattended.
Visit https://www.ontario.ca/page/outdoor-fire-rules-and-permits for more information. To report a forest fire, call 310-FIRE (3473).