Rag Causes Smoke

1

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018, shortly after 3p.m., Sault Ste. Marie Fire Service crews responded to a call at a commercial kitchen in the 200 block of Second Line West.

Upon arrival, fire crews identified smoke coming from a dryer in the laundry room of the building. The smoke was confined to the laundry room area. Crews assisted with smoke ventilation of the room.

The smoke was caused by spontaneous heating from organic oils on rags that were not completely cleaned and then placed in the dryer. “Anyone who works in the food service industry should be aware that spontaneous heating can occur from organic oils.” said Fire Prevention Officer Dan Fraser. “Always use a good quality detergent, wash rags, aprons, and clothes thoroughly, and then remove them from the dryer promptly to allow them to cool.”

There were no injuries to report.

1 COMMENT

Comments are closed.