The Latest: Police ID Toronto suspect as Faisal Hussain, 29

1
Toronto Police are appealing for info in Danforth Shooting Chief Mark Saunders has vowed police will leave no stone unturned as investigators work diligently to provide answers in the wake of a mass shooting on Danforth Ave., near Logan Ave., at around 10 p.m. on July 22.

Police have identified the suspect in a deadly mass shooting in Toronto as 29-year-old Faisal Hussain.

The Ontario police Special Investigations Unit released his name Monday evening. He died after an exchange of gunfire with police Sunday night.

The attacker fired a handgun into restaurants and cafes in a lively Toronto neighbourhood late Sunday, killing a 10-year-old girl and an 18-year-old woman and wounding 13 other people.

Police haven’t disclosed his motive. Police chief Mark Saunders said earlier Monday that investigators didn’t know it yet.

The rampage came just three months after a van struck and killed 10 people in Toronto in an apparent attack directed toward women.

The family of Faisal Hussain, released the following statement.

“We are at a terrible loss for words but we must speak out to express our deepest condolences to the families who are now suffering on account of our son’s horrific actions.

“We are utterly devastated by the incomprehensible news that our son was responsible for the senseless violence and loss of life that took place on the Danforth.

“Our son had severe mental health challenges, struggling with psychosis and depression his entire life. The interventions of professionals were unsuccessful. Medications and therapy were unable to treat him. While we did our best to seek help for him throughout his life of struggle and pain, we could never imagine that this would be his devastating and destructive end.

“Our hearts are in pieces for the victims and for our city as we all come to grips with this terrible tragedy. We will mourn those who were lost for the rest of our lives.

signed, “Hussain Family”.

Flags were lowered to half-staff at a Toronto high school and administrative buildings in memory of a graduate who was killed in the shooting rampage weeks after commencement.

Toronto District School Board Education Director John Malloy says 18-year-old Reese Fallon was “an engaging student” who “was highly regarded by staff and loved by her friends.”

She graduated in late June from Malvern Collegiate Institute. Its website shows she had been on its honour roll.

McMaster University said she planned to start studying there in the fall.

Fallon and a 10-year-old girl were killed Sunday when a man fired a handgun into restaurants and cafes in the lively Greektown neighbourhood. Thirteen other people were wounded.

The 29-year-old gunman died after an exchange of gunfire with police.

 

 

 

1 COMMENT

  1. They need to concentrate on getting the illegal stolen guns off of the street. No small task as more are being imported all the time.

Comments are closed.