NORDIK’s Urban Indigenous Youth for Change (UIYFC) project is collaborating with the Children of Shingwauk Alumni Association (CSAA), Youth Social Infrastructure (YSI), and the Shingwauk Anishnaabe Students’ Association (SASA) to create free youth programming that will run alongside the general programming for the Shingwauk Residential School Gathering and Conference.
The gathering will run from Aug. 3-5th, with youth programming running from the 4th-5th, 9 am–4pm. UIYFC has planned events like:
● Dream Catcher & Medicine Bag Making
● Beading with Adora-Lee Nawagesic
● Corn Husk Doll Making
● Hair Braiding with Boss Braids
● Instagram Scavenger Hunt (Prizes for the Winning Team)
● Mural Painting with Rihkee Strap
● Linocut Printmaking workshop with Taylor Jolin
● Book Reading & Chat with Joanne Robertson
● Sharing Circle with Krista Bissiallon
Through partnerships with the CSAA, YSI, and SASA, UIYFC is able to provide all materials for these events, single use bus passes for youth, as well as light refreshments.
UIYFC’s last event on Sunday afternoon is a giveaway with a variety of items youth are free to choose from as a special thanks for taking part in the events.
UIYFC is looking to minimize barriers to participation so we urge anyone with questions about accessibility or transportation concerns or additional needs to contact us by telephone at 705-949-2301 ext. 3165, or by email at [email protected]. Participants can register for the event here, and the Facebook youth event page can be found here for more information.