SAULT STE. MARIE, ON (3 October 2018) – With a heavy windstorm expected this evening, PUC would like to share some tips on how to stay safe during and after a storm.
In The Community:
- Downed powerlines may be live. Stay back at least 10 metres or 33 feet (the length of a school bus). Electricity can travel through water and the ground around powerlines.
- Immediately call 9-1-1 and PUC to report any downed wires.
- If a powerline lands on your vehicle, stay in the vehicle until emergency responders arrive. Exiting a vehicle in contact with a live powerline is extremely dangerous. Don’t try to help someone if their vehicle is in contact with powerlines.
- Don’t clear tree branches, or other storm debris until the power is disconnected or powerlines are repaired.
- Flood waters can damage electrical equipment. In the event of a flood, assume electrical equipment is unsafe, and contact a licensed electrical contractor before reconnecting any equipment.
Around Your Home:
- Strong winds can bring trees, branches, and other items down onto powerlines causing blackouts and electrically charged hazards. Inspect the trees surrounding your property and call PUC at 705-759-6500 to trim branches away from overhead powerlines.
- Heavy rain can contribute to flooding. If water gets into your home, your electrical systems may be affected. If you suspect damage to your electrical system, contact a licensed electrical contractor to assess the damage and make any repairs.
- When flood water rises above electrical outlets or power cords or is near the electrical service panel, it could be energized. Contact PUC at 705-759-6500 to disconnect the power immediately.
- Do not plug in or use electrical appliances that have been damaged or are wet until they have been checked by a licensed electrical contractor or serviced by the manufacturer.
For more information on electrical safety when stormy weather hits, please visit http://www.esasafe.com. To report any problems during a storm, or power outages please call PUC Customer Care at 705-759-6500.