Tourism operators, professionals and industry stakeholders celebrated a busy and prosperous season in a big way this week in Sault Ste. Marie. This past summer season of 2018 proved to be the best year in tourism on record for Canada, Ontario, and Northern Ontario. At an all-time high, the future for tourism in Northern Ontario is bright.
As a culmination of Northern Ontario’s successful tourism season, approximately 300 delegates from across the region gathered in Sault Ste. Marie at the Northern Ontario Tourism Summit to learn, share and celebrate from Nov. 13 to 15.
“It’s always inspiring to see the industry come together to learn and share with one another. The collaboration, training, learning and networking that occurs at the Northern Ontario Tourism Summit assists in the forward progression and success of the tourism industry in the north. We had a great year in terms of tourism in Northern Ontario and are excited to see what the next year brings,” said David MacLachlan, Executive Director, Destination Northern Ontario.
Attendees participated in over 24 workshops and sessions specifically designed to increase sales and marketing efforts, enhance tourism product and prepare for workforce development challenges such as succession planning and employee training.
Outstanding industry leaders in 2018 were recognized by Nature and Outdoor Tourism and Destination Northern Ontario (formally Tourism Northern Ontario) at the Northern Ontario Tourism Summit Gala and Awards dinner.
Award recipients include:
- Tourism Northern Ontario Industry Leader Award – Workforce Development and Training – Sudbury Media Fam Tours
- Tourism Northern Ontario Industry Leader Award – Product Development – VIA Rail Canada
- Tourism Northern Ontario Industry Leader Award – Marketing and Communications – Big Clic Inc.
- Tourism Northern Ontario Industry Leader Award – Tourism Innovator of the Year – Perivale Gallery
- Nature and Outdoor Tourism Ontario – Environmental Stewardship Award – Pine Grove Resort Cottages
- Nature and Outdoor Tourism Ontario – Preferred Supplier of The Year – Margaret Palmer, Gougeon Insurance
- Nature and Outdoor Tourism Ontario – President’s Award – Hugh Carlson
The summit steering committee invites industry to Timmins next fall for the 2019 Northern Ontario Tourism Summit. The 2019 host location announcement was made by Guy Lamarche, Manager of Tourism for the city of Timmins, Ontario.
“We are thrilled to be chosen as the host community for the 2019 annual Northern Ontario Tourism Summit, a first for the City of Timmins. We are excited to welcome the many tourism stakeholders and industry partners to our city and to showcase some of our tourism attractions. The economic benefits associated with the summit are significant and incremental. We look forward to working with the organizing committee in the coming months to ensure that the delegates visiting the City of Timmins in 2019 are left with a memorable experience,” said Lamarche.
Further details on the 2019 Northern Ontario Tourism Summit will be released in the coming months.