Hounds win the Dog Fight 5-2 over the Wolves


On the second night of back to back home games from our boys in red and white, saw the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds take on the Sudbury Wolves.

Before the game started, it was announced just yesterday that Hounds fifth round draft pick from this past priority selection Kalvyn Watson had committed to the team. He wasn’t able to suit up for last night’s 4-2 loss to the Spirit, but was the first player out on the ice for warm ups… and he was the only one out there for the first lap as the team let him take the ice alone. A prank pulled on debuting rookies across all leagues.

A big smile was ear to ear on Watson’s face, who was quoted as saying “Signing with the Soo was a surreal moment. Getting the opportunity to play in the OHL has been a dream of mine since I was a kid and for it to be with Greyhounds is incredible. I’m just excited to get things going”.

It was also worth noting that after the fight from the previous night, Ryan O’Rourke was wearing a clear glass cage on his helmet for the game.

The game would start off on a bitter-sweet moment. It took the Wolves just two shots in over 12 minutes of action for Sooite Darian Pilon to pot his 8th of the campaign. The inital shot by Levin was the team’s first shot on goal, and Pilon followed up by charging towards the net and it was all it took for the Hounds to be chasing the lead. If anyone is to score on the Hounds, at least we can say he was a Soo boy before an enemy.

Even though the Hounds dictated the pace of the play, outshooting the Wolves 10-3, they would head into the second down.

The period would essentially see the teams reverse roles. As the first three minutes of the game saw the Hounds pinned down for the majority of the opening minutes, until one rush down the ice and a shot that seemed harmless found its way behind backup goalie Jack McGrath. Jacob LeGuerrier increased his goal total on the season to three.

The Hounds would continue to roll, and continue to dominate, as they put up three in the period. Hollowell on the powerplay and Jacklin would lift the lead to 3-1. The Wolves would tally one before the remainder of the period, with Peter Stratis’s 5th. The Hounds would go into the third with the lead, but would still have 56 seconds left on a penalty to kill off.

Shots after two were 27-11, really putting emphasis on how well the Greyhounds played in the absence of Frost and Hayton. The Wolves are missing their starting netminder in Ukko Pekka Luukkonen, as he is playing for Team Finland at the world juniors. McGrath’s record on the season is a measly 2-4-0, but put on a great performance through 40 minutes.

The Soo was represented earlier from the goal from Pilon, but our own Soo product wasn’t letting him be the only one to hit the score sheet. Cole Mackay added the team’s insurance marker to make this a 4-2 game.

Late game penalty troubles prompted the Wolves to pull their goalie for a 6-4 man advantage. Risky, but they desperately needed a goal. Sambrook knew that there would be no icing if he rifled a shot down the ice. With his shot, it found the empty cage to ice this one, 5-2. The Wolves played a much improved third period as the shots ended 36-25.

Next up for the Hounds is the Sarnia Sting on January 3rd, in Sarnia.