Romano Announces Funding for Surge Beds

4

Today, MPP Ross Romano announced that the Ontario Government is delivering on its promise to end hallway healthcare and reduce the strain on the healthcare system in Sault Ste. Marie.

At a press conference early Friday morning, MPP Romano announced that Sault Area Hospital is being provided an additional $605,000 to support 10 new surge beds. This funding, combined with the $1.72 million previously announced back on October 19, brings the grand total of announced funding by MPP Romano to $2.32 million for Sault Area Hospital to date.

“Our government understands that one patient treated in a hallway is one too many,” said MPP Romano. “During the campaign, we promised to take measures to reduce the burden on our health care system: we are keeping that promise. Our hospital has been operating over capacity for too long. This $2.32 million will go a long way to reduce that burden.”

MP Ross RomanoThis announcement is part of an additional $90 million investment by the provincial government that will create more than 1,100 new beds across the province, matching the previous $90 million investment made earlier this year.

“Hallway health care is a multi-faceted problem that will require real and innovative solutions,” said Christine Elliott, Minister of Health and Long-term. “Our government will continue to listen to the people who work on the front lines of our health care system as we develop a long-term, transformational strategy to address hallway health care.”

Joining MPP Romano on Friday was President and recently announced interim-CEO of Sault Area Hospital Ila Watson who said this investment is a welcome addition from the provincial government.

“Many of us consider this time of year the season of giving.  The news today is especially welcome, as we know that the winter months are usually the busiest for community hospitals.  Surge funding helps us ensure that patients who need to be admitted to hospital are able to be cared for in the appropriate beds,” said Ila Watson.

Since being re-elected on June 7, 2018, MPP Romano has announced $5.47 Million investments in Sault Ste Marie.

 

4 COMMENTS

  1. Why be so negative? It is a start to hopefully more beds down the road. We are not the only city looking for health care funding.

    • You’re right bri. This is good news for anyone who goes to Emergency. And that’s a lot of Sault citizens.

      These 10 new Surge Beds will free up Emerg beds so that people won’t have to wait as long in the Emergency Waiting Areas before being seen and treated by Emergency Health Professionals. These are beds that clear Emergency patients who are waiting to be admitted to a Hospital Room Bed out of Emerg while they’re waiting freeing up the Emergency Room beds. These are much needed Emergency Bed-freeing transitional beds, and are a good start to the types of investments our constantly overcrowded hospital requires.

      Yes requires.

      Like the fully funded Hospital Room beds that will likely get our SAH operating down below the 100-110% of capacity that it currently constantly operates at that neither the Kathleen Wynne/David Orazietti Liberal, nor the Doug Ford/Ross Romano majority governments have never funded, nor even made an announcement about in the case of the current government since our new SAH was built.

      As a citizen I’m tired of heaping thanks and praise at governments that spend our tax dollars on things that are required to help us.

      That’s their job, and is exactly what we elected them to do.

      Why can’t all members of our governments just look at the numbers and give us whatever it is we need to help us that our tax dollars can reasonably fund?

      I mean it’s not rocket science to see that our SAH needs more fully funded Hospital Room Beds which means more actual beds and Doctors, and Nurses, and PSWs and cleaning staff, and paramedics and likely managers to manage the critical health information and activity.

      The numbers have been screaming loud and clear for more Hopsital Room beds for a long time, yet none of our tax dollars come to help us. Why not?

      And it’s not hard when you look at the Sault’s Fentanyl death numbers and the Steel Town Down documentary to see that a Level Three Withdrawal Management Services facility at the SAH is something critical, and absolutely required.

      Yet, not a peep about our tax dollars being spent on that from our current majority government who could get it started in less than a week.

      Yes the 10 Surge beds are a good start bri, but let’s hope that our MPP Ross Romano keeps yapping and makes even more political blunders so that Doug Ford feels compelled to spend more of our tax dollars in our community to try to rehabilitate his political image.

      This spending announcement from Doug Ford was not about healthcare in Sault Ste. Marie. It was about political image care in Sault Ste. Marie.

      Whatever. I’m happy to get our tax money sustainably invested in the Sault.

      Sustainable, helpful, affordable spending is good… For the People.

  2. Thank you for the 10 new Surge Beds MPP Romano and Minister Elliott with your recently doubled $90 Million dollar ($180 Million dollar total) MoHLTC Budget for 1,100 new Surge Beds across the province.

    But that’s gotta be at least one less Surge Bed than the 11 new Surge Beds the Kathleen Wynne Liberals were going to give our Sault Area Hospital with the $187 million MoHLTC Budget for 2018-2019 for 1,200 beds and other spaces do deal with patient surges across the province. (1)

    And we all know how unpopular the Kathleen Wynne Liberals were.

    You better not be hoping this worse-than-Kathleen-Wynne new Surge Bed news is going to be making you more popular than Kathleen Wynne Minister Elliott, and MPP Romano.

    It isn’t.

    Maybe if you gave our SAH 10 more Surge Beds, and 20 more permanent beds we’d begin to think you’re more popular than Kathleen Wynne (after your ill advised comparison of cancer sufferers to demanding children MPP Romano 🙁 ).

    (1) – GOOGLE: Surge beds ontario $187 million Liberal

  3. Thank you for the 10 new Surge Beds MPP Romano and Minister Elliott with your recently doubled $90 Million dollar ($180 Million dollar total) MoHLTC Budget for 1,100 new Surge Beds across the province.

    But that’s gotta be at least one less Surge Bed than the 11 new Surge Beds the Kathleen Wynne Liberals were going to give our Sault Area Hospital with the $187 million MoHLTC Budget for 2018-2019 for 1,200 beds and other spaces do deal with patient surges across the province. (1)

    And we all know how unpopular the Kathleen Wynne Liberals were.

    You better not be hoping this worse-than-Kathleen-Wynne new Surge Bed news is going to be making you more popular than Kathleen Wynne Minister Elliott, and MPP Romano.

    It isn’t.

    Maybe if you gave our SAH 10 more Surge Beds, and 20 more permanent beds we’d begin to think you’re more popular than Kathleen Wynne (after your ill advised comparison of cancer sufferers to demanding children MPP Romano 🙂 ).

    (1) – https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/pc-cuts-to-hospital-surge-beds-follows-cuts-to-mental-health-and-addictions-pc-health-policy-becomes-clear-despite-attempt-to-dress-bed-cuts-as-new-beds-695083821.html

Comments are closed.